Housing Advisory Roundtable (HART)
Last Thursday, 6 June Shelter WA and the Department of Communities as co-chairs of the Housing Advisory Roundtable (HART), were thrilled to host the Minister for Housing, the Hon Peter Tinley, AM MLA.
It was great to hear directly from the Minister on some of the key initiatives and his vision for progressing housing first responses to address the housing crisis our state is in.
For many low-income households finding housing options is difficult, as wait lists for social housing are almost at 14,000 households, and it takes nearly 2.5 years to be accommodated. Home ownership still remains out of reach for many West Australians and the need to refocus our attention to providing social housing and affordable rental options to West Australian households is crucial.
The Minister spent some time discussing the following issues:
• The development and renewal of the Affordable Housing Strategy.
• The impending release of the seniors housing strategy – Ageing with Choice.
• Creating genuine housing options for West Australian households across the housing continuum.
• Re-opening the conversation with the newly appointed Federal Minister for Indigenous Australians to move forward on remote housing funding.
• The need for urban renewal and utilising built form to create more affordable home options.
HART brings together organisations and people across the community, private and government sectors to discuss and put forward real solutions to problems in the WA housing system. The Minister reinforced the value of the HART to him as we all work towards finding solutions to the systemic housing issues in our community.
On behalf of the co-chairs of HART, we thank the Minister for his time.
This page has no comments.