Elder's Support Next Steps
On Tuesday 26 February Shelter WA attended the Telethon Kids Institute Ngulluk Koolunga Ngulluk Koort Elders’ Workshop to present the findings and seek endorsement of the proposed next steps resulting from the inaugural Metropolitan Aboriginal Housing Forum.
The Noongar Elders voted unanimously in support of the next steps which can be found in the Metropolitan Aboriginal Housing Forum Summary Report.
Shelter WA is working with the Telethon Kids Institute to embed a process for ongoing input and engagement with the Elders to drive progress.
• Shelter WA in partnership with Telethon Kids Institute to develop a working group with the Elders as a platform for an Aboriginal voice into Noongar housing policy and to develop an Aboriginal housing policy and framework to measure progress.
• Shelter WA to discuss with Noongar Mia Mia, the development of a Noongar Community Housing Strategy to build on the value proposition of Noongar managed housing, to address the lack of safe, secure and culturally appropriate housing supply and to capitalise on new opportunities.
• Shelter WA to develop, in partnership with Noongar Mia Mia, other agencies as appropriate and the Department of Communities, new models for affordable home ownership schemes – i.e. rent to buy option with long term rental payments to become shared equity in ownership.
• Shelter WA to ensure Aboriginal people are central to the review of the Residential Tenancies Act 1987.
• Shelter WA in partnership with the Aboriginal community, increase advocacy for:
- The abolishment of the 3 strikes policy.
- Aboriginal advocates to support people and liaise with the Department of Communities on housing issues.
- The Department of Communities to simplify housing jargon.
- The Department of Communities to undertake a cultural audit of current government housing policies and practice.
- A review of the negative impact of employment outcomes on social housing eligibility and the development of affordable and secure housing transition options.
- A policy to ensure that safe and stable housing and support is provided immediately for people being released from government institutions.
This page has no comments.